The beautiful Mt. Lanaya emerges over Alegria like a timeless sentinel. Conquering Mount Lanaya, also known as Kalo-Kalo Peak via Legaspi trail is never easy as one needs to scramble up a constant 60 to 70 degree slope which is mostly made up of loose rocks. Some parts might reach a 90-degree slope and ropes are highly recommended as aid to climb. During the ascent, the hardest to battle is the scorching heat which adds up to the baggage. Most parts of the trek has no shade since there are no trees to provide one. Nevertheless, everything we experience was worthwhile. In this post, I am going to share to you our experience in conquering Mount Lanaya.
There were thirteen of us who took the challenge in conquering Mount Lanaya. Since all of us except for one, are first timers, we needed a guide! Actually, we had two. Departing from South Bus Terminal in Cebu City, we took the three-hour ride going to Centro Alegria. From there, we rode a tricycle going to Brgy. Hall for registration. Below is a detailed itinerary of our experience.
Day 01 (May 11, 2019)
- 0230 Meet at South Bus Terminal, Cebu City
- 0300 Expected departure from Cebu South Bus Terminal
- 0700 Expected time of arrival at Alegria. Have breakfast.
- 0800 Travel to Brgy. Legaspi. Fill up registration, get guide and pay fees.
- 0900 Commence trek via Legaspi trail
- 11:30 Arrival at Campsite (Windows XP). Have rest.
- 12:30 Resume ascending to Kalo-Kalo Peak
- 14:30 Reached the summit. Picture taking.
- 15:30 Descent back to Campsite
- 17:00 Arrival at Campsite. Cook dinner. Watch sunset.
- 20:00 Dinner. Devotion and Fellowship. Star Gazing.
Day 02 (May 12, 2019)
- 0600 Wake Up. Break Camp. Preparation for Descending.
- 0700 Descend to Highway.
- 0830 Reached Highway. Breakfast..
- 0930 Wait for bus. Return to Cebu City.
Going to the Campsite (Windows XP)
From the Brgy. Hall, everyone ascended to the camp site known as Windows XP. Until now, I don’t know why it’s named as such. We even forgot to ask the locals. Nevertheless, the trail going to the campsite is easy but very open. So, having the right sun protection is a must. Windows XP is an ideal campsite because it provides a breathtaking sunset view facing the Negros Island.
Arrival at Campsite
We arrive at Windows XP campsite at noon time to be exact starting from the highway. We took a short rest before resuming the trek to the summit.
Conquering Mount Lanaya and Reaching the Summit
I wasn’t able to take so much pictures during the ascent because I was left too busy holding my grips due to the very steep slope and loose rocks. Nevertheless, reaching the summit and given the 360-degree view of the surrounding mountains and waters make everything worthwhile.
…at last, the summit!
Camping at Windows XP
The best part of the campsite is the provision of the breathtaking sunset view. What a wonderful sight You had us witnessed!
The next day, we woke up with a great sense of satisfaction and privilege for having this as a success. What a beauty we had witnessed here!
No Longer Slaves, Bethel Music
“I’m no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God”
Did you like this article? Let littlemisadvencha know in the comment section.
littlemisadvencha is a Filipino Civil Engineer, M.S. student in Structural Engineering and a fur mom of four-legged babies. She writes about her experiences to inspire and educate.